Fish Oils & Omegas
Discover the Extraordinary Benefits of Fish Oil and Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Fatty fish, such as mackerel, sardines, and tuna, are a rich source of omega-3 which our bodies need to maintain optimal health. Taking fish oil supplements is a great way to boost your intake of omega-3 essential fatty acids and deliver a wide range of benefits to your system, including lowering your risk of cardiovascular disease, reducing inflammation, supporting eye health, boosting brain function, and assisting with weight loss.
Most fish oil capsules are derived from oily fish, however, oils can also be extracted from the fatty livers of whitefish, such as cod liver oil. Fish oil also typically contains vitamin E, vitamin D, and vitamin A.
Shop quality, odourless fish oil supplements at Amcal online or in-store by Australia's favourite brands, including Swisse, Amcal, Pharmacy Care, and Hypol.
Health Benefits of Taking Fish Oil
The positive effects of fish oil on the body have been well researched and the American Heart Association recommends eating oily fish as part of a heart-healthy diet. Meta-analysis of many clinical trials shows a huge range of benefits to taking fish oil, ranging from heart health to bone health and weight loss. Here's what fish oil can do for you:
- Heart Health - Fish oil can reduce the cardiovascular risk of having a heart attack by increasing good cholesterol, lowering triglycerides, and lowering blood pressure.
- Help With Rheumatoid Arthritis - Research suggests that omega-3 fatty acids can reduce the inflammation associated with rheumatoid arthritis and relieve pain and joint stiffness.
- Aid in Weight Loss - In combination with regular exercise and a well-rounded, healthy diet, fish oil may assist in weight loss and lower your risk of developing heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
- Eye and Vision Health - The eyes rely on omega-3 fats to keep them strong and healthy as you age. Fish oil can support eye health and reduce the risk of age-related eye diseases, such as macular degeneration.
- Memory Benefits - Like the eyes, the brain needs omega-3 fats to function. Some studies show that fish oil can slow the decline of brain function in ageing adults, as well as boost memory and treat other neuropsychiatric conditions, such as dementia and ADHD.
- Reduce Liver Fat - Fish oil supplements can reduce the amount of fat stored in the liver as a result of liver diseases.
- Improve Bone Health - It's thought that those with a higher omega-3 intake and blood levels are at less risk of developing bone-related diseases, such as osteoporosis, due to their higher bone mineral density. Fish oil may help to reduce bone breakdown and prevent future bone diseases as you age.
- Epilepsy - Some scientific studies suggest that fish oil may reduce the number of seizures experienced by a person with epilepsy.
- Improve and Prevent Mental Health Symptoms - Nearly 60% of the brain consists of fat and most of this is omega-3. Fish oil may be able to reduce the severity of various mental health disorders, including depression, and bipolar disorder.
- Reduce Inflammation - Fish oil can have an amazing anti-inflammatory effect on the body and reduce the production of inflammatory molecules as well as aid in pain and joint stiffness.
- Help With Healthy Skin - As the skin is comprised of many omega-3 fats, fish oil may help to maintain healthy skin as you age and assist with skin conditions, such as psoriasis and dermatitis.
- Improve Allergy Symptoms - There have been studies that indicate fish oil may help alleviate asthma symptoms in infants and could lessen the chance of babies being born with allergies if a woman consumes fish oil while pregnant.
- Increase Immune System - Fish oil contains a rare lipid called Alkylglycerol which has been shown to not only reduce inflammation but also boost and maintain a healthy immune system.
Supplements Which Are Right for You
Dietary supplements can be a fantastic way to ensure your body is getting the appropriate number of vitamins and nutrients it needs to perform at its best every day. However, not all supplements are suitable for everyone. You should always consult a healthcare professional for medical advice before taking any supplements. We've put together some great supplements that can improve your overall health and wellbeing:
- For Women - Some of the best supplements for women include calcium to strengthen bones, fish oil for heart health as well as brain development in babies during breastfeeding, B vitamins for energy, and vitamin D for calcium absorption.
- For Men - Men can benefit from taking vitamin D to boost testosterone and metabolism, magnesium for strength and overall health, boron for prostate health, and fish oil to reduce the risk of coronary heart disease and support brain health, joint health, eye health, and more.
- For Children - Children need plenty of vitamins and minerals to promote healthy growth and development. While most Australian kids tend to get vitamin D from the sun, a supplement can help to boost their intake and support strong bones and muscle. Kids can also benefit from vitamin A, B vitamins, calcium, and iron.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 fats are found in oily fish, supplements, and certain foods, including flaxseeds, chia seeds, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds. Fish oil is high in polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA's), including 3 major omega-3s: alpha-linolenic acid, docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). These fatty acids work to provide a huge range of benefits, from reducing triglyceride levels to potentially lessen the risk of heart disease to lowering the content of arachidonic acid in the body to minimise inflammation.
Many systematic reviews determine that the long-chain fatty acids found in fish oil can boost and maintain your overall health and wellbeing. Fish oil supplements, such as krill oil, are loaded with body-boosting omega-3s as well as phospholipids which are needed to carry the long-chain omega-3s into the cell membranes to be absorbed into the body.
Buying Fish Oil Online
Amcal sells high-quality fish oil supplements by leading brands, including Amcal, Hypol, and Swisse. Choose from Wild Krill and Wild Fish Oil that's odourless, high strength, and sustainably sourced.
FAQs About Fish Oil
What is Fish Oil?
Eating fish is considered to be an important part of a healthy diet as it contains high levels of long-chain polyunsaturated fats known as omega-3 fatty acids. Fish oil supplements contain the oil taken from oily fish, such as mackerel, trout, and tuna, and can be used to boost levels of omega-3 in men, women, and children for overall health and wellness. Shop high-quality fish oil at Amcal by leading brands, such as Swisse and Pharmacy Care.
What Are the Benefits of Taking Fish Oil?
Fish oil supplementation can have a huge number of beneficial effects on the body, from helping to prevent heart disease to improving skin health and bone strength. Fish oil may help to:
- Reduce inflammation
- Lower risk of heart disease by raising good cholesterol and reducing blood pressure
- Aid in weight loss
- Boost brain function
- Improve eye health, skin health, and bone health
- Aid mental health disorders
- Reduce liver fat
When Should Fish Oil Be Taken?
Fish oil can be taken with water at any time during the day. Many people choose to take it in the morning with a meal high in dietary fat as it may help with better absorption. You can take fish oil at the same time as your other dietary supplements, such as multivitamins, probiotics, and minerals.
Can Fish Oil Help with Weight Loss?
Some studies have shown that taking omega-3 supplements can be beneficial in weight loss. Omega-3 fatty acids can help to reduce hunger and appetite in healthy people looking to lose weight, increase metabolism, build muscle and help to burn more calories during exercise. Speak to a healthcare professional before using fish oil for weight loss, then consider combining it with our other weight loss supplements, including nutrition shakes and weight loss bars.