Soap & Hand Wash
Keep Germs Away with Amcal’s Range of Antibacterial Soaps and Hand Washes
Help keep colds, flu and other infectious diseases at bay with our antibacterial soaps, hand wipes and sanitisers. Our selection of products will give you peace of mind knowing you are doing your best to protect your family from viruses and bacteria.
Antibacterial soap vs normal hand wash
Antibacterial soap contains active ingredients that kill bacteria while normal hand wash does not. The use of hand soap without antibacterial ingredients can be just as effective as using antibacterial soap. The difference is that the additives in antibacterial soap kill bacteria while normal hand wash removes bacteria by the physical process of washing hands.
Hand hygiene: Why, How and When
Hand hygiene is incredibly important in helping stop the spread of germs and infectious diseases. Hand washing is the most important step you can take in maintaining good hand hygiene and should be practised well all the time by adults and children alike.
- Wet hands with clean running water.
- Apply soap to hands and wrists.
- Rub your hands together thoroughly until you create a lather, taking care to cover all areas of your hands (in between fingers, tops of hands, tips of fingers, fingernails, etc).
- Continue scrubbing hands and wrists for 20 seconds.
- Rinse hands and wrists with clean running water.
- Dry hands and wrists with a clean towel, or air dry.
Washing with plain soap
Washing with regular soap and water is a safe and completely effective way to clean your hands, as long as you follow the handwashing steps above to ensure you wash your hands properly. Overuse of antimicrobial soaps can contribute to the creation of superbugs by creating antimicrobial resistance, so washing hands with plain soap is a great option to limit your usage of antibacterial soaps.
Hand sanitiser and wipes:
- Travel size sanitisers and wipes are a convenient and easy way to offer on-the-go protection from microbes.
- Refill options are a great way to reduce packaging and lessen the environmental impact, especially in big families or business environments.
- Large packets/pump bottles are a perfect choice for frequent use (such as in an office or business).
Hand sanitisers vs handwashing – is there a difference?
Hand sanitisers can be beneficial to use when handwashing is not an option and if your hands are not already visibly dirty or greasy.
- Kill bacteria: Alcohol-based sanitisers kill most but not all bacteria. Handwashing is always the best option.
- Prevent the spread of germs and illness: While washing hands with soap and water is best, hand sanitisers with at least 60% alcohol can help prevent the spread of germs and illness, although do not eliminate all types of germs.
Do wipes remove germs?
- Hand sanitiser wipes kill roughly 99.9% of germs and are safe to use on hands.
- Baby wipes are water-based and meant to be gentle and safe to use on a baby, so do not necessarily remove germs.
- Disinfecting wipes, containing an antibacterial agent like benzalkonium chloride, are cleaning products, and are only meant to be used on hard surfaces.
Products for home
Household soaps often do not need to be as heavy-duty as those used in public settings.
Australian brands like Natural Instinct and The Goat Skincare offer a more natural, gentle range of hand washes, liquid soaps, body washes and bar soaps.
Products for business
Products used in businesses often contain stronger ingredients, depending on the type of business and how many people work there or pass through the doors. Healthcare settings (like hospitals, surgeries and doctors’ offices) might use an antibacterial product such as Microshield Surgical Handwash or need a large 1-litre container of Aqium Antibacterial Hand Sanitiser Gel (instead of the travel-sized containers for personal use).
Best products to use for hand hygiene
There are a wide variety of over-the-counter hand hygiene products available at Amcal. What works best for you and your family depends on your individual, family or business needs.
List of brands we know and trust
Amcal stocks a large selection of Australia’s most known and trusted brands such as Dettol, Sukin, Thursday Plantation, DermaVeen and Palmolive.
Frequently Asked Questions About Antibacterial Soaps and Hand wash:
What is a good antibacterial soap?
What works for one person does not necessarily work for someone else. If you have sensitive skin, dermatitis or eczema, a more natural product might be a better choice for you. Amcal’s range of products and brands ensures you can find the best soap for your individual needs.
Does antibacterial soap make a difference?
According to the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), soaps with antibacterial ingredients are no more effective than plain soap in getting rid of germs. However, antibacterial hand soap can make a difference if you aren’t following the steps of washing your hands properly.
Often people do not wash their hands for long enough or get under their nails or between fingers, to make washing with plain soap effective. In these cases, antibacterial soap may make a difference. If you have any questions about antibacterial soaps, come into your local Amcal pharmacy to speak with one of our pharmacists.
What is the best hand wash?
There are a variety of options when finding the best hand wash for you and your family.
Amcal’s large range of brands gives you the selection needed to help find the best products individually suited to you.
Is simple hand wash antibacterial?
No, simple hand wash is not antibacterial unless it is labelled as such. However, it is effective in removing bacteria and other germs that can cause viruses. Hand sanitisers are a good antibacterial option when you can’t wash your hands.