Fast-Acting, Effective Pain Relief Medication
When pain is causing you discomfort, Amcal has the right pain medications to get you back on track again. Whether you're experiencing infrequent pain, moderate pain or severe pain from an injury or illness or have been dealing with chronic pain for an extended amount of time, we have pain relief medication by reliable brand names to target pain fast and provide effective relief.
Shop our extensive range for kids and adults, including topical creams, gels and balms for muscle aches, arthritis, and lower back pain, pain relief sprays for fibromyalgia, suspensions for children, plus tablets, effervescent tablets, and capsules to target everything from headaches and toothaches to joint pain, arthritis, and much more.
Types of Pain
There are many different types of pain associated with both long- and short-term conditions. Pain can be divided into 5 major categories although often it can overlap into two or more categories. They are:
- Acute pain - This is short-term pain that typically lasts from a minute to 3 months. It's usually caused by an illness or injury.
- Chronic pain - This is pain that lasts longer than 3 months and can be constant or intermittent. Examples of chronic pain are osteoarthritis and stomach ulcers.
- Neuropathic pain - This pain is due to nerve damage and includes heightened sensitivity to touch. It's a form of chronic pain.
- Nociceptive pain - This pain is caused by tissue damage, typically caused by an external injury.
- Radicular pain - This type of pain occurs when the spinal cord becomes compressed (pinched) or inflamed and can result in back pain and numbness. Sciatica is a common form of radicular pain.
Short Term vs Long Term Pain
Short-term pain is known as acute pain. It often comes on suddenly and does not last long. A sports injury is a common type of short-term pain. Long-term pain can be described as chronic pain. This pain lasts longer than 3 months and can range from mild to severe.
Types of chronic pain can include migraines, arthritis, and musculoskeletal conditions caused by a past injury or surgery.
Common Types of Over-the-Counter and Prescription Medication
Pain medicines come in different forms and strengths to treat different causes and areas of the body. Here are the most common types of over-the-counter medication for pain relief, as well as common types of prescription medication you may receive:
- Non-Opioid Medications - This type of OTC analgesic includes Tylenol and Panadol which is also known as paracetamol.
- Topical Medication - This includes creams, balms, and gels that can be rubbed into the affected area to be absorbed into the skin and provide fast relief. Diclofenac, under the brand name Voltaren, is a popular topical medication for joint pain and stiffness.
- NSAID's - NSAID's stand for Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs. These drugs work by reducing the production of chemicals that cause inflammation and pain. Ibuprofen and naproxen (sold as Aleve) is a common NSAID.
- Corticosteroids - These prescription medications are a form of steroid used to reduce swelling and inflammation caused by allergies, such as asthma.
- Opioid Medications - Opioids are the strongest type of pain killer available only by prescription. They include oxycodone, codeine, morphine, and more.
- Anticonvulsants - Your doctor may prescribe you an anticonvulsant medication to nerve pain. These can include gabapentin and pregabalin.
- Antidepressants - Antidepressants such as Amitriptyline can be prescribed a range of pain disorders such as fibromyalgia, neuropathic pain, and migraines.
Best Pain Reliever for Muscle Pain
Amcal stock a huge selection of pain relievers for muscle aches and pains. Rub a topical cream into the inflamed area for fast absorption through the skin. Try our range of Deep Heat creams for regular relief, extra strength, and night relief, or use the sports spray. We also have Dencorub creams and gels for arthritis and muscle relief, Nurofen caplets, and Elmore Oil with natural ingredients to soothe swelling and increase joint mobility. You can also try our range of Medi-Pak and Pharmacy Care hot/cold packs, or alternatively soak in a warm bath of Epsom Salts, all of which will help soothe pain and discomfort
Using Over the Counter Medicines
When using OTC pain relief medication, always read the instructions on the box and the information guide if included inside the packet. This will provide important information on the correct dosage for your age when to have it and any possible side effects you can expect. If you're unsure whether OTC pain killers are right for you, speak to your doctor or Amcal healthcare professional first.
How Heat Can Help
If you have back pain or muscle pain, applying heat is an effective form of pain control that can soothe inflammation and reduce discomfort. Heat works by opening up the blood vessels to speed up the healing process and lessen the pain. It works best on injuries that are a few days old. Use a heat pack or fill up a hot water bottle and hold it against the affected area. Heat can also be very effective for other types of pain, including stomach aches, period pain, tension headaches, and rheumatoid arthritis.
Can OTC Pain Reliever Have Side Effects?
Any medication you take, whether it's over the counter or prescribed by a doctor, can have side effects. These are usually unpleasant but not dangerous. Common side effects may include digestive trouble, drowsiness, nausea, dizziness, constipation, and diarrhoea. If you are experiencing abnormal side effects or are concerned about any reaction you are having while taking pain killers, consult a healthcare professional for medical advice.
What if OTC Pain Relievers Do Not Help?
If you find that OTC pain killers are not working for you, you may need something with a higher dose to ease the pain. In this case, you will need to see a healthcare professional, such as your doctor, who can discuss further options with you which may include a prescription medication.
Pain Relief for Adults
Shop our full range of pain relief medication for adults. We have topical creams and gels to soothe back pain, muscle aches, sprains, and arthritis symptoms, such as swelling and joint stiffness. We've also got tablets and caplets by Panadol, Aspro, and Nurofen for headaches, migraines, period pain relief, and much more.
Pain Relief for Kids
We have pain relief for children in low doses that's gentle, fast working, and effective. Our range of Nurofen analgesics for kids contains ibuprofen to relieve pain and fever and comes in a great-tasting liquid formula that's sugar-free and easy to take.
How Amcal Can Help
Our expert team of healthcare professionals can help you to choose the right medication for you to ease your pain and discomfort. We can offer advice and recommend suitable pain relief medication for your individual symptoms. Shop our extensive range of analgesic tablets and capsules, topical creams, gels, balms, and sprays that are powerfully formulated to help reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation. We have the most trusted brands to take care of Australian families, from kids to adults, including Naprogesic, Nurofen, Panadol, and Voltaren.
Shop in-store or online with click and collect and free postage over $89 Australia-wide.
FAQs About Pain Relief Medication
What Are Some of the Strongest Non-Prescription Pain Killers?
You can find many effective OTC alternatives at Amcal to treat strong and persistent pain. Look for extra strength and fast-acting products, such as:
- Aspro Clear Extra Strength Tablets
- Dencorub Extra Strength Heat Gel
- Amcal Stomach and Pain Double Strength Tablets
- Advil Rapid Release Tablets
What is the Best Medicine for Pain Relief?
The best medicine to target and relieve pain fast will depend on what type of pain you want to treat. Amcal stock a diverse range of pain relief medication to help you find relief from any ailment, including:
- Muscle aches - Try Voltaren Emulgel, Tiger Balm White, and Inflamax sprays
- Arthritis - Try Deep Heat topical creams, Dencorub arthritis creams and Elmore sprays
- Headaches - Try Disprin, Nurofen, Panadol, and Aspro Clear
What Drugs are Used for Pain Management?
Both prescription drugs and OTC medications can be used to manage pain. OTC pain killers are commonly either paracetamol or NSAIDs. Our range of Voltaren and Deep Heat topical creams can be used regularly to treat joint stiffness and pain associated with arthritis and muscle cramps. For headaches, migraines, Panadol and Nurofen are trusted brands for kids and adults, while Naprogesic can help with period pain and cramping.
What is the Most Popular Over the Counter Pain Reliever?
At Amcal, we stock the most trusted brands at the most affordable prices to soothe any type of pain and provide you with fast relief. Shop our range of analgesic tablets, capsules, topical creams, and suspensions by these household names: