Headaches & Migraines
Feel Better Fast with Our Pain Relief for Headaches and Migraines
A headache or migraine can be painful, debilitating, and affect your ability to feel your best and perform your day-to-day duties. Amcal provides pain relief for headaches and migraines that reduce inflammation and target pain quickly and effectively so that you can get back to normal sooner. We stock all of the leading brands, from Panadol to Nurofen, in a wide variety of forms for everyone, including effervescent tablets that can be dissolved in water, mini caps, double strength tablets, children's liquid Panadol, chewable tablets, and Aspro tablets that are easy to halve for headaches, period pain, sore throats, arthritis and more.
What You Need to Know About Headaches and Migraines
Headaches and migraines are one of the most common forms of pain you can experience. While they may feel similar, there are some differences between them which you will need to identify to find the best treatment for you.
A headache causes pressure and aching in the head. This can range from mild to severe and occur on both sides, including the forehead, temples, and back of the neck. Some common headache triggers are stress, muscle strain, and anxiety.
A migraine usually occurs on one side of the head and can cause intense pain. You may also experience nausea, seeing spots or flashes, sensitivity to light, and vomiting. Migraines can be triggered by anxiety, contraceptives, alcohol, hormonal changes, and more.
Most headaches and some mild migraines can be treated with over-the-counter medication that contains aspirin, paracetamol, or ibuprofen. In more severe circumstances, you may require acute treatment prescribed by your doctor.
Types of Headaches
There are many types of headaches that range in severity, duration, and associated symptoms. A primary headache is a headache that is not caused by an underlying condition. These headaches can be episodic and occur every now and then or be a chronic headache that is consistent and can last for days. The most common primary headaches include:
- Migraine headaches - This causes an intense, throbbing pain usually on one side of the head. It may also cause nausea, light sensitivity, and visual disturbances.
- Tension-type headache - A tension headache is the most common type of headache. It may cause dull, aching pain in your head and tenderness to the scalp, neck, and shoulders. OTC medication can be used to treat these headaches, including naproxen and ibuprofen.
- Cluster headache - This headache causes severe, burning pain to one side of the face or eye. They come in waves, lasting for 15 min to 3hrs, and can recur daily for months. Swelling and nasal congestion can also occur on the same side of the head.
A secondary headache is a headache that is caused as a result of something else in the body. The most common secondary headaches include:
- Allergy headache - Allergies can cause two types of headaches, migraine and sinus headaches. With allergies, swelling and blockage can prevent normal drainage and airflow, causing a buildup of pressure, leading to a headache.
- Medication overuse headache - If you suffer from frequent headaches, you may be taking too many OTC pain relievers. This can cause what is also known as a rebound headache and can range from dull to severe pain.
- Hormone headaches - Menstruation, pregnancy, menopause, and birth control can commonly cause hormonal headaches in women that may be relieved with OTC medication.
- Hypertension headache - These headaches are caused by high blood pressure and worsen with any kind of movement. They require immediate medical attention.
Over the Counter Medications for Treating Headaches
Non-prescription analgesics are the most common form of treatment for headaches and associated pain. This can include acetaminophen (paracetamol), which is sold as Panadol or Tylenol, or NSAIDs which are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that can also reduce inflammation, such as aspirin and ibuprofen. Amcal has a great range of NSAIDs and paracetamol to alleviate pain and discomfort, including Aspro Clear, Panadol, Nurofen, and Disprin.
If your headache is chronic, your doctor may discuss other treatment options with you.
Medications for Adults
We have pain relief for headaches and migraines to target all types of headaches and associated symptoms. Shop effervescent tablets, such as Aspro Clear, Paracetamol Soluble, and Disprin Max, for a quick and easy way to reduce pain due to headaches, sore throats, and more. We also have Maxigesic which contains paracetamol and ibuprofen to reduce pain and inflammation, as well as Nurofen Zavance for fast absorption, and Amal Period Pain Relief with naproxen, and much more.
Medications for Kids
Amcal has paracetamol for children that's safe, gentle on tummies, and effective, including Panadol infant drops with cherry and vanilla flavour for 1 month-1-year olds and Panadol strawberry suspension for kids aged 5-12 years old.
Tips for Using Over the Counter Medications for Treating Migraines and Headaches
When using OTC medications to relieve pain associated with a headache or migraine, it's important to always read the label first. This will give you all of the information you need to take the product safely, including the correct dosage for adults and children, how to take it, how to store it, what it can treat, and more.
When to Seek Medical Assistance
You should see a healthcare professional immediately for medical advice if you have a severe headache that comes on suddenly, are experiencing pain that is radiating t your left arm, have signs of dehydration, have a headache with a stiff neck and high temperature, or if your headache lasts longer than 72hrs without 4 hrs of being pain-free.
Treating Your Migraines
Your treatment of migraines will depend on the severity of the migraine pain and the frequency of migraine attacks. Common migraine may be treated with over-the-counter medication that contains paracetamol, ibuprofen, aspirin, or naproxen. If the pain is more severe or chronic, you may be prescribed stronger medication, such as triptans, antidepressants, and anti-nausea medicines.
Different Types of Migraines
Like headaches, there are different types of migraines that range from moderate to severe and your migraine symptoms may differ depending on which one you experience. Here are the most common types of migraine:
- Migraine with aura - A migraine with aura is usually accompanied by visual disturbances, such as lines, flashes, streaks, and spots. These can occur up to an hour before the migraine starts.
- Common migraine - This is a migraine without an aura and typically occurs on one side of the head with throbbing pain and nausea.
- Menstrual migraine - Usually starts 2 days before a woman's menstruation begins and can last up to 3 days after it has finished.
- Chronic migraine - This type of migraine occurs more than 15 days in a month and for longer than 3 months. At least 8 of the days in the month will include migraine symptoms.
Over the Counter Medications for Treating Migraines
If your migraine pain is mild to moderate, OTC NSAIDs are typically the first choice when it comes to relieving symptoms, such as ibuprofen and naproxen. You can try our extensive range of pain relief for headaches and migraines, including Aspro, Disprin, Nurofen, and Panadol. If the pain is more severe, you may need acute treatment with a prescription from your doctor. This may include migraine-specific drugs, such as triptans, which constrict the blood vessels and can relieve pain within 2 hours. Sumatriptan is the generic name of a popular triptan in Australia and it comes in nasal spray, tablet, and injection form.
Medications for Migraine Prevention
Taking preventive measures to stop a migraine before it becomes severe may be the best treatment for you. These can include prescribed medication, such as antidepressants, or natural remedies you can do at home. At the first sign of a migraine, it may help to take paracetamol or ibuprofen to prevent it from worsening.
Get to know your migraine triggers and learn to avoid them. This can include certain foods, red wine, and stress. Your doctor may also recommend acupuncture to help you relax, boosting your magnesium intake, exercising more, and eating a more balanced diet.
How Amcal Can Help
Amcal stock the most trusted brands in pain relief for headaches and migraines, including Panadol, Aspro, Nuromol, Nurofen, and more. We offer free shipping over $89 Australia-wide or you can find your nearest store and get medical advice from our healthcare professionals. We also offer health services with private consultations to help with everything from medication management to vaccinations. Get in touch with us today to discover how we can help you.
FAQs About Pain Relief Medication for Headaches and Migraines
What is the Best OTC Medicine for a Headache?
The best medicine for headache pain is one that contains either ibuprofen, aspirin, or paracetamol. Ibuprofen and aspirin are NSAIDs that can reduce inflammation, while paracetamol is effective in treating pain, as well as fever. Shop our range of tablets, effervescent tablets, chewable tablets, liquids, and caplets by the most trusted brands, including:
- Amcal Paracetamol
What Do Doctors Prescribe for a Headache?
OTC pain relievers are the first line of defence against mild to moderate headache pain. If your headache is a migraine headache, the doctor may prescribe triptans to provide relief. They may also recommend:
- Taking magnesium to reduce headaches
- Getting plenty of rest
- Using a cold pack
- Running a bath to de-stress
- Having acupuncture done
- Increasing your physical activity
Which Pain Killer is Best for a Migraine?
Migraine pain can be mild to severe and will typically affect one side of the head, causing intense pain that makes it difficult to get through the day. OTC medications, such as paracetamol and ibuprofen, can be effective in treating infrequent migraines. Shop our range of fast and effective pain relief for headaches and migraines, including:
- Nurofen Zavance
- Herron Gold Paracetamol
- Maxigesic Paracetamol and Ibuprofen
- Panadol Caplets with Optizorb
What Gets Rid of a Headache Fast?
Taking an OTC pain reliever at the first sign of a headache can be the best way to prevent the pain from getting worse. Look for medication with fast absorption, such as Panadol Rapid Soluble and Nurofen Zavance. You can also try:
- Using a hot or cold pack
- Lying in a dim room
- Doing breathing and stretching exercises
- Drinking caffeine