Athlete’s Foot & Antifungal Treatments
All about antifungal medications
Antifungal medications target structures or functions that are necessary in fungal cells but not in human cells, so they can fight a fungal infection without damaging your body’s cells. The fungal cell membrane and the fungal cell wall are commonly targeted with antifungal medications. When either one becomes compromised, the fungal cell can burst open and die.
Most fungal infections are unsightly and irritating but can usually be completely cleared up when treated in the early stages. However, people with a weakened immune system are more at risk of getting serious fungal infections that can lead to more serious conditions. Antifungal medications work in two ways.
- Killing the fungus
- Preventing the fungus from growing and thriving
If you think you may have a fungal infection, speak to your Amcal pharmacist for advice on the best antifungal medicine for you.
How they work
There are many over-the-counter antifungal medicines available at your Amcal pharmacy. They are available as creams, sprays, solutions, tablets, and even shampoos. Antifungal medications target the affected area and work by damaging the cellular makeup of the fungus, which causes the fungus to die. Common medical names for antifungal medicines include:
Types of fungal infections
There are many varieties of fungal infections, most of which you can get through contact with a fungus or fungal spores in the environment. Some of the most common fungal infections are those of the skin, nails, and mucous membranes. Examples include:
- Ringworm - Also known as tinea, this fungal infection can occur on your scalp, feet (athletes foot), groin area (jock itch) and other areas of your body, often exhibited as an itchy ring-shaped rash.
- Nail fungus - This typically affects toenails but can also affect your fingernails. Affected nails can become brittle, discoloured, and deformed.
- Athlete’s foot (tinea pedis) - This condition is typically exhibited by scaly skin on the bottom of your feet, that is intensely itchy. It is often caused by damp socks and shoes, and warm, humid conditions.
- Jock itch - This itchy red rash appears in the groin and inner thigh area due to moisture and humidity.
- Vaginal yeast infection - This infection occurs due to the overgrowth of candida yeast in and around the vagina area. Itching, redness, and swelling are typical symptoms.
- Oral thrush - A condition where candida yeast overgrows in your mouth causing white lesions that may become red and painful.
Treating the symptoms of fungal infections
Antifungal medications work to treat fungal infections. They can either kill fungi directly or prevent them from growing and thriving. Over-the-counter Antifungal drugs are available in a variety of forms.
Symptoms of fungal infections include itchiness, redness, soreness, and swelling. Medications available at Amcal are formulated to destroy fungal cells and relieve irritating and painful symptoms.
Types of antifungal medications available
Fungal infections are mostly curable with antifungal medications, and the most effective medicines from well-known manufacturers are available online or in-store at Amcal. Here are some suggestions for treating a range of fungal conditions.
Powder: Works by stopping the fungi from producing ergosterol, an essential component of fungal cell membranes. The disruption in the production of ergosterol causes holes in the fungal cell membrane, allowing healthy cells to thrive in their place.
Liquids/Spray: Anti-Fungal Liquids and sprays are for use only on the skin. Always use the prescribed amount and don't use it for longer than recommended. Always wash your hands before and after using Anti-Fungal Liquid, unless you are treating a hand infection.
Creams: Antifungal Cream should be applied evenly to the affected areas two or three times daily. Rub the cream in gently. The duration of treatment depends upon the type of fungal infection.
Brands to look out for
Amcal stocks dozens of effective antifungal treatments for addressing a wide range of conditions. Here are some well-known brands and products to look out for.
- Canesten Antifungal Cream
- Lamisil Cream
- Canesten Tinaderm Powder Spray Tinea and Ringworm Treatment
- Pevaryl Foaming Solution
- Daktarin Spray for Athletes Foot
- Clonea Antifungal Cream
The extensive Amcal range of antifungal products includes topical creams, lotions, foot creams, oral gels, and other great products that include anti-inflammatory and antifungal agents.
When to seek medical advice
Most common types of fungal skin infections will improve in response to over-the-counter (OTC) fungal treatments. However, you should speak to a healthcare professional if you:
- have a stubborn fungal skin infection that doesn't improve, gets worse, or returns after over-the-counter treatment.
- have a weakened immune system and you suspect you have a fungal infection.
- have diabetes and suspect you have athlete’s foot.
- notice hair loss accompanied by itchy or scaly skin on your scalp.
Purchasing online at Amcal
Shopping for over-the-counter medicines and skincare treatments for irritating and painful skin conditions has never been easier. If purchasing online, simply add selected products to your shopping cart and proceed to checkout for speedy product delivery to your door, with free delivery on purchases over $89. Shop online and save with Amcal.
Frequently Asked Questions About Antifungal Treatments
What is the best medicine for fungal infection?
There are many different types of fungal infections such as nail infections, yeast infections, nappy rash, candidiasis, tinea cruris, tinea corporis, and many more. It's important to choose medicines that target your particular fungal infection. Speak to your Amcal pharmacy team for advice about suitable treatment options.
What kills a fungal infection?
Antifungal treatments are specially formulated to attack and kill fungal cells. Treatments are applied as creams, sprays, powders, and other solutions, with the best products available from your local Amcal pharmacy.
What is the fastest way to get rid of skin fungus?
The fastest way to kill skin fungus is by using an approved anti-fungal medicine recommended by the experts. Your healthcare professional can explain the types of medications used to treat every type of skin fungus condition.
Which is the best antifungal cream?
Amcal sells only the best antifungal creams made by world-leading pharmaceutical brands. Explore the range of products from highly regarded manufacturers such as Canesten, SolvEasy, and Clonea that deliver fast-acting relief for irritating fungal skin infections.