Sore Throat Treatments
About sore throats and cough medicine
Coughing is a reflex that helps keep our throat and airways clear. Persistent coughing can damage the throat and make it sore. A cough is often a symptom of a viral infection such as a cold or flu. Most adults suffer one or two airway infections every year, while children can experience up to ten infections per year.
When we catch a virus that causes an upper airway infection, the throat can become inflamed, and also causing us to cough. A runny nose and mucus can also irritate the throat and make us cough. It's important to choose a suitable remedy with the appropriate active ingredients to address your symptoms.
Sore throat and cough treatments
A sore throat is often relieved with the use of lozenges or a gargle. Associated cough treatments include:
- Expectorant - Ingredients include guaifenesin or bromhexine which loosens mucus and makes it easier to cough up. These are usually better for wet coughs.
- Suppressants - These include pholcodine or dextromethorphan for suppressing the urge to cough. These are favoured for dry coughs.
Best over the counter cough syrups and lozenges
Cough medicines have been around for a long time, and many Australian families are familiar with well-known Amcal products. Lozenges, cough syrups , and other medicines include:
- Vicks VapoDrops Honey Lemon Menthol lozenges
- Allens Anticol Extra Strong
- Duro-Tuss Children's Cough Night Time Liquid Strawberry
- Robitussin Dry Cough Forte Syrup
- Bisolvon Chesty Forte
- Benadryl Dry Tickly Forte
Explore online for more effective cough, cold, and flu medicines from highly regarded pharmaceutical companies.
Dry tickly sore throat and cough medicine
Dry tickly coughs can be persistent, irritating, and sometimes painful. A dry cough can also keep you and your loved ones awake at night. For a dry tickly cough, over-the-counter medicines containing a cough suppressant such as pholcodine and dextromethorphan will help to block the coughing reflex. A throat lozenge will also help to soothe and ease the tickle in the throat.
Best dry cough medicine
A dry cough is usually temporary with no cause for concern, but if your cough lasts for more than a couple of weeks you should speak to a healthcare professional. Here are some common treatments.
- Cough drops or lozenges: these products often include natural ingredients like honey, menthol, and eucalyptus.
- Cough suppressants: these over-the-counter medications usually include dextromethorphan to help reduce the cough reflex.
- Use steam or a humidifier: this can help to decrease throat irritation.
Sore throat and chesty cough medicine
Expectorants are the preferred choice for wet coughs. They thin the mucus in your airway so you can more easily cough it up. Popularbrands include Benadryl, Duro-Tuss, Robitussin and Bisolvon.
Using sore throat and cough medicines safely
Inappropriate usage of cough medicines can be dangerous. Always follow the instructions for taking cough medicines and syrups safely, and never give adult medicines to children. Always tell your Amcal pharmacists if you are taking other medicines are suffering from other medical conditions.
Reading the label and instructions
You should always carefully read the directions on the medicine label to understand how much to take and how often to take it. Never take more than the recommended amount. Speak to your Amcal pharmacist about cough syrups and medicines that effectively decrease symptoms and aid comfort and recovery.
Active ingredients, types, and cautions to be aware of
Amcal stocks a large range of products, and the choices can become confusing. We are on hand to assist you every step of the way in making the right choices for better health. Here are some available medicine types.
- Analgesics: These include acetaminophen and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Decongestants: These are used to alleviate nose and chest congestion. Ingredients can include pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine.
- Expectorants: These loosen or thin the mucus in the chest, such as guaifenesin.
- Antihistamines: These are also for treating allergies with similar symptoms to a cold. Ingredients include chlorpheniramine maleate, diphenhydramine, and doxylamine succinate. Antihistamines can dry the throat, making it harder to move phlegm and mucus.
- Cough suppressants: These block the cough reflex, making coughing less likely. One example is dextromethorphan.
- Combination medicines: These contain several ingredients, often used to treat more than one symptom simultaneously.
Prolonged use of cough syrup and other cough medicines can have negative health impacts. Here are some additional factors that can put a person at risk.
- 45% of patients do not think about their prescription medicines when choosing over-the-counter cough medicines.
- 58% do not consider existing health conditions
- 65% do not think about the other OTC drugs they are presently taking
- 73% of people over 60 do not consider whether the drug is suitable for their age
- 20% do not see any of the above as important factors
As Australia's trusted pharmacy, Amcal stocks the most trusted brands. We partner with major Australian and international pharmaceutical companies to deliver the widest possible range of efficacious cough syrups, sore throat lozenges, tablets, capsules, and more. Shop online or in-store for fast-acting nasal decongestants, cough syrups, pain relief products, and more.
Cough medicines for children
If you’re looking for suitable cough or cold medicine for your child, never give them one meant for adults. Choose a medication specifically formulated for children. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions to avoid unwanted side effects. You can buy cough medicines online with confidence at Amcal.
Frequently asked questions
Which is best for a sore and irritated throat?
There are lots to choose from. Check out Amcal selections that include:
- Codral Sore Throat Lozenges
- Betadine Sore Throat Gargle
- Difflam Plus Sore Throat Menthol and Eucalyptus
- Bonningtons Irish Moss Cough Syrup
What is the best cough medicine in Australia?
Cough medicines are formulated for people of different ages. Our medicines also target a wide range of cough, cold, and flu symptoms and causes. You will find many familiar trusted brands and products online or in-store at your local Amcal pharmacy. Whatever your ailment, we have the best sore throat and cough medicine in Australia for you.