Amcal's Cough Medicine Brands for the Family
Which cough medicine should I buy?
There are many kinds of over-the-counter (OTC) cough medicines available at Amcal that treat different types of coughs. The cough medicine you should buy depends on the type of cough being treated. Expectorants treat a chesty cough by loosening mucus. Suppressants treat a dry cough by stopping the cough reflex. Cough soothers, like lozenges and cough drops, work by coating the throat to reduce irritation, dryness, and soothe a cough.
Which cough medicine works?
Finding a cough medicine that works and relieves symptoms can be a great relief. For the best results, it is important to first work out the kind of cough being treated and then selecting a suitable cough medicine. Amcal’s range of trusted cough medicines and remedies treat dry and chesty coughs for the whole family.
Understanding the different types of coughs
- Dry cough: Cough suppressants help give relief for dry coughs by helping to stop the cough reflex. Dextromethorphan and pholcodine are active ingredients found in cough suppressants like Robitussin Dry Cough Forte available at Amcal. Dry coughs can sometimes also be caused by allergies and acid reflux. So it is important to correctly diagnose the cause of a dry cough.
- Tickly cough: This is also a type of dry cough that persists and feels like a tickle at the back of the throat. A tickly cough is treated as a dry cough and may be a result of a variety of factors. So it is important to correctly determine the cause to best be able to treat it.
- Chesty/Mucus cough: A wet or productive cough where you cough up mucus or phlegm. A phlegmy cough is best treated by expectorants or mucolytics which help to loosen and reduce the thickness of mucus. A cough syrup like Bisolvon Chesty Forte can help where there is a lot of mucus is secreted.
When to seek medical care
Speak to a healthcare professional or your doctor if your cough or your child’s cough presents with wheezing, shortness of breath, a temperature, chest pain, or discoloured phlegm.
The different types of cough medicines
Cough liquids are either expectorants or cough suppressants.
- Expectorants and Mucolytics are used to treat a chesty cough, also known as a phlegmy, productive, or a wet cough. The expectorant works on chest congestion to loosen mucus to make it easier to cough up Amcal’s range of expectorants includes Bisolvon Chesty Cough Liquid and Duro-Tuss Expectorant Cough Liquid. Cough suppressants (antitussives) are used to treat dry coughs, which can be irritating and often feel like a tickling sensation in the back of the throat. Amcal’s range of cough suppressants includes Robitussin Dry Cough Forte Syrup.
- Cough soothers, like lozenges, ease dry irritating coughs by coating the throat.
What about cough medicines for kids?
Treating cough and cold in kids can be challenging. From a stuffy nose to a chesty cough, it is often difficult to find a treatment that works. Amcal’s range of cold and cough medicine for kids includes syrups, chest rubs, inhalants, and drops to ease coughs, sore throats, and aches and pains.
For all ages: things to consider before taking cough medicine
Before taking cough medicine, always read the box and product information. This will indicate dosage and suitability for various ages. Some cough medicine variants are not suited to children so it is important to read the packaging. Read the packaging for contraindication and side effects, especially for children and adults with other health issues, like high blood pressure. Where there are underlying or additional medical conditions, it is important to speak to a healthcare professional prior to taking cough medicine.
Other over-the-counter remedies for pain relief
Lozenges and Gargle
Medicated antibacterial lozenges can ease a persistent irritating cough, as well as help fight bacteria giving relief for a sore throat. Amcal’s range of lozenges include Difflam Sore Throat Lozenges and Strepsils Sore Throat & Blocked Nose. Gargles can also help relieve a sore throat (like Betadine’s Sore Throat Gargle).
Cough drops commonly contain menthol which eases a sore throat. In extreme cases, excessive consumption can cause side effects so it is important to read the packaging. For pregnant women, menthol’s safety isn’t known so it is best to speak to a doctor.
By heating or boiling water and releasing steam, vaporisers add moisture to the air reducing dryness. Vaporisers like the Vicks Warm Steam Vaporiser Unit available at Amcal is a popular choice for all ages to use in nurseries and young children’s rooms. Vaporisers help with allergies, irritated sinuses, and ease cough and flu symptoms.
Brand names we know and trust
Amcal stocks a vast range of well-known cold medicines and cough medicines. Our wide range of trusted products includes Duro-Tuss Dry Cough and Robitussin Dry Cough, Vicks Action Colds & Flu, and Benadryl Chesty Forte Cough Liquid.
Buying cough medicine at Amcal
Amcal makes it easy to look after your family's health with our extensive range of cold and cough remedies, including syrups, rubs, drops, and vaporisers, trusted by Australian households. Because there are different types of coughs, it is important to read the packaging for directions, dosage, and suitability. Shop our range either online or in-store.
Frequently Asked Questions about Cough Medicine:
Which medicine is best for a cough?
The best medicine is one that treats the cough symptoms you are experiencing. Cough suppressants work best for a dry tickly cough, stopping the cough reflex. Expectorants treat a chesty cough by loosening mucus for the body to cough out.
What should you take to stop coughing?
The type of cough you have will determine what you should take to stop coughing. Cough suppressants treat dry coughs. Expectorants treat chesty coughs. Lozenges and cough drops help ease a cough by coating the throat.
What is the best cough medicine in Australia?
There are many trusted brands of cough medicine in Australia. Amcal's range includes Demazin, Vicks Benadryl, Duro-Tuss, Robitussin , and Bisolvon.
What will stop a cough instantly?
Besides cough medicine, other at-home remedies that may help stop or ease a cough include sipping warm water, salt-water gargle, and honey.