Blood Pressure Monitors
What is blood pressure?
Blood pressure is the force of blood pushing against the walls of your arteries as your heart pumps the blood through your body. Continued high blood pressure places extra strain on the heart and blood vessels, putting you at risk of wide-ranging health issues including heart attack, heart failure, kidney failure and stroke. Low blood pressure is not usually dangerous, although it can be a sign of an underlying problem in some people, and you should visit your doctor if you have any blood pressure concerns.
Raised blood pressure is considered the most significant cause of death and disability worldwide. Accurate blood pressure measurement is vital in the prevention and treatment of blood pressure related diseases. Home blood pressure monitoring is easy to perform with a medically approved upper arm blood pressure monitor available from Amcal pharmacies.
At home blood pressure testing is easy and painless. High blood pressure is often referred to as a 'silent killer' because there are no symptoms for most people. Many people remain unaware that they have dangerously high blood pressure, so it is important that every adult have their blood pressure checked regularly. Amcal blood pressure monitors are available without a prescription, making at home monitoring a convenient way to monitor and improve your condition. Here are five important advantages of at home blood pressure monitoring.
- Early diagnosis: self-monitoring can assist your healthcare professional in diagnosing high blood pressure. Home blood pressure monitoring can be performed several times per day, providing a clearer picture of heart health. Home monitoring is particularly important if you have elevated blood pressure or an underlying condition that could contribute to high blood pressure, such as kidney problems or diabetes.
- Track your treatment: at home blood pressure monitoring will help you know if your medications or lifestyle changes are having a positive effect. The information will assist your healthcare professional in making treatment decisions, such as changing medications or adjusting dosages.
- Personal responsibility: an accurate blood pressure monitor, such as the Omron HEM7280T, will motivate you to take a greater sense of responsibility for personal health. Combine home blood pressure monitoring with an improved diet, physical activity and targeted medication according to your treating doctor's guidelines, and reap the rewards.
- Reduce health care costs: blood pressure self-monitoring may decrease your number of visits to the doctor's office. You will appreciate a better understanding of your heart health, and reduce your health care costs.
- Compare readings to those taken by your physician: a spike in high blood pressure is often due to the anxiety associated with a visit to the doctor's office (known as white coat hypertension). Other people are calm at the clinic but experience elevated blood pressure elsewhere (known as masked hypertension). Blood pressure monitoring in your own home can provide a more accurate reading and determine if you have true high blood pressure.
For best results, measure your blood pressure twice daily. Take the first measurement in the morning prior to eating or taking medications. Take the second measurement in the evening. Take two or three readings each time to ensure the blood pressure monitor results are accurate. Your healthcare professional may recommend taking your blood pressure readings at the same times each day.
Blood pressure readings are a key indicator of cardiovascular health, and it is essential to buy a blood pressure monitor that suits you. Here are some tips for choosing a digital blood pressure monitor for home use.
- Choose an upper arm blood pressure monitor if possible. Finger and wrist blood pressure monitors are not as precise, although they may be the preferred option in some situations.
- Make sure the blood pressure cuff fits your arm. If the arm cuff is too big or small, the digital blood pressure monitor reading won't be accurate.
- Choose an automatic blood pressure monitor with self-inflating cuff, such as a Microlife, Amcal or Omron blood pressure monitor.
- Ensure the digital readout on your chosen blood pressure monitor is large and bright enough to read clearly.
- Consider a blood pressure monitor that includes a pulse oximeter and irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) indicator.
Blood pressure naturally changes many times during the course of the day and night. Most changes occur within the normal and predictable range, with no unusual signs or symptoms noticed. However, if you experience unusually high blood pressure or low blood pressure readings, you should consult with a healthcare professional. You can log blood pressure readings on your monitor for assisting your doctor in detecting any blood pressure related problems.
When your doctor takes your blood pressure, the results are expressed with two numbers. The top number (systolic) and bottom number (diastolic) are measured like a fraction. For example, 120/80 mm Hg. The top number refers to pressure in your arteries during heart muscle contraction (systolic pressure). The bottom number refers to your blood pressure between beats (diastolic pressure). Blood pressure readings outside the ideal range indicate that your heart is being forced to work too hard in pumping blood around your body.
Proper blood pressure monitor use takes practice, regardless of the blood pressure monitor you choose from the great Amcal collection. Here are some tips to ensure you take accurate blood pressure measurements every time.
Check blood pressure monitor accuracy: before using your monitor for home blood pressure readings, check it for accuracy against the model used in your doctor's office. Try out your new blood pressure monitor in the presence of your doctor to ensure you are using it correctly.
Don't measure your blood pressure immediately on waking up: start preparing for your day as normal, but avoid eating breakfast, taking medications or exercising before taking your morning blood pressure measurement.
Avoid food, tobacco, caffeine and alcohol within 30 minutes before a measurement: it is also a good idea to go to the toilet first, as a full bladder can slightly increase blood pressure.
Relax and sit quietly before and during monitoring: prior to using your home blood pressure monitor, sit comfortably for five minutes and avoid stressful thoughts. Don't talk or allow yourself to become distracted while using your automatic blood pressure monitor.
Position your arm properly: always use the same arm when taking your blood pressure. Rest your arm at the level of your heart. Use a cushion or pillow to elevate your arm to the correct height if required.
Place the blood pressure cuff on bare skin: a rolled-up sleeve can result in an inaccurate blood pressure reading. Slip your arm out of a tight-fitting sleeve before taking a reading if required.
Take a repeat reading: wait for a couple of minutes after the first reading, and then take another to check blood pressure monitor accuracy.
The best way is to purchase a blood pressure monitor that is recommended by healthcare professionals. Amcal partners with world leading pharmaceutical and medical brands to ensure optimal blood pressure monitor accuracy and safety. Amcal has been Australia's trusted pharmacy for generations, and you can speak to your local Amcal pharmacist about the right automatic blood pressure monitor for you.
Yes, there are. Blood pressure monitors include upper arm cuff, wrist cuff and finger cuff varieties. However, Australian and international heart health organisations generally recommend using a home blood pressure monitor that measures blood pressure in your upper arm. Blood pressure measurements taken at the wrist are often higher and less accurate because wrist arteries are narrower and not as deep as those in the upper arm.
Exceptions include people with a very large upper arm, and those who find blood pressure measurements painful. These people may be more suited to taking blood pressure measurements at the wrist.
Hypertension is another name for high blood pressure. It is usually defined as blood pressure above 140/90, and is considered severe when pressure is above 180/120. Hypertension can be improved by eliminating modifiable risk factors. These include:
- An unhealthy diet with excessive salt, excessive saturated fats and trans fats
- Low intake of fruits and vegetables
- Physical inactivity
- Tobacco and alcohol consumption
- Being overweight or obese
Common symptoms of hypertension include early morning headaches, irregular heart rhythms, nosebleeds, buzzing in the ears and vision changes. When severe, hypertension can cause fatigue, nausea, vomiting, anxiety, confusion, chest pain and muscle tremors. An automatic blood pressure monitor for home use is an invaluable device for monitoring heart health and saving lives.
Australians, like anyone else, are prone to make unhealthy lifestyle choices that can affect heart health. A digital blood pressure monitor (sphygmomanometer) provides a proactive solution, and the best home blood pressure monitors for home use in Australia are available at Amcal pharmacies. Here are some medical equipment best sellers as recommended by Australian healthcare professionals.
Omron Ultra-Premium Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor HEM-7320
This is a top of the range device incorporating the latest Omron advances in blood pressure monitoring technology. This ultra-premium upper arm blood pressure monitor provides an accurate reading with one touch operation. Access the last 90 readings at the touch of a button, and remain informed with the hypertension indicator alert when blood pressure readings exceed normal levels.
Omron Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor Bluetooth HM7280T
This Omron blood pressure monitor allows you to track your readings via the Omron Connect App by wirelessly syncing to your smartphone. This device has a 2-user memory function, allowing another person to access accurate home blood pressure monitor readings. The backlight display is easy to read, and a convenient carry bag is included.
Microlife Blood Pressure Monitor - A2 Basic
For an unbeatable price, you can own an accurate Microlife Blood Pressure Monitor - A2 Basic that has been clinically tested and validated by the European, German and British Hypertension Societies. Features include Blood pressure measurement and pulse measurement, PAD technology (Pulse Arrhythmia Detection) and 30 data memories for tracking your blood pressure progress.
Amcal Blood Pressure Monitor - Standard
This inexpensive but highly accurate device includes a large backlit LCD screen, time and date display, and 2-user memory for 60 readings. Power automatically shuts off after 1 minute of use to preserve battery life.
Amcal has steadily grown since the 1930s to become one of Australia's most widely recognised pharmacy brands. We are an integral part of local and regional communities in every state and territory, and remain committed to providing friendly service, value for money, and expert advice.
Our heart health products and medical equipment are second to none, including ultra-premium upper arm blood pressure monitors specifically designed for home use. Explore highest quality Omron, Microlife and Amcal blood pressure monitors, and monitor your heart health with confidence. If you suffer from high blood pressure or arrhythmia and your doctor recommends the use of a blood pressure monitor, we have what you are looking for.
Shop online or in-store with Amcal, and purchase products healthcare professionals recommend.