Fast and soothing haemorrhoid relief
Haemorrhoids, sometimes referred to as piles, are enlarged, swollen veins of the anal region. They may feel like lumps and can often lead to symptoms of minor bleeding, painful bowel motions, and discomfort. 1, 2
Symptoms of haemorrhoids may include: 1, 3, 4
- Minor bleeding from the anal area
- Discomfort or pain
- One or more tender lumps on or within the anus
- Painful bowel motions
What can cause haemorrhoids?
The most common cause of haemorrhoids is constipation. When pressure builds as a result of infrequent, or difficult to pass, hard bowel motions, the blood vessels in the anus swell. 1, 5
Other causes associated with increased pressure to the anal region may also contribute to haemorrhoids.
These include: 1, 3, 4, 5
- Straining during bowel motions
- Regularly lifting heavy objects
Other factors that may increase the likelihood of haemorrhoids include:
- Being overweight
- Spending long periods of time on the toilet
How to help prevent haemorrhoids
Prevention of haemorrhoids relies heavily on maintaining a regular, soft bowel motion that is easy to pass.
Additional points that may aid in the prevention of haemorrhoids include: 1, 3, 5, 6
Haemorrhoids are often self-limiting and pass on their own without intervention. In many cases, treating constipation will alleviate the symptoms of haemorrhoids as well. 1
If haemorrhoids are causing you pain or discomfort, speak to your doctor or pharmacist about treatment options. These may include over-the-counter ointments like Proctocaine. Proctocaine provides fast and soothing haemorrhoid relief by reducing inflammation, relieving anal itch, and alleviating pain. 1
If pain or discomfort is severe or if symptoms persist or worsen, speak to your Amcal pharmacist.1
Proctocaine ointment is used for the relief of discomfort of haemorrhoids
It contains the active ingredients hydrocortisone, a steroid, and cinchocaine hydrochloride, a local anaesthetic.
The ingredients in Proctocaine work together to reduce swelling, numb pain, and relieve itching.
Proctocaine tubes come with a multidirectional applicator for easier and convenient application.
Proctocaine ointment is available in two sizes; 15g and 30g tubes.
The standard dose for Proctocaine medicine is up to three times a day (for example, after your morning bowel motion, noon and evening) or as advised by a doctor or pharmacist. If you are unsure on the correct dose, speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
Always read the label and follow directions for use.
WARNINGS: Do not use for longer than 7 days unless advised by a doctor. Do not use for children 12 years of age and under. If symptoms persist, see your doctor. If skin irritation occurs, discontinue use and seek medical advice from your doctor or pharmacist.
1. Haemorrhoids. Oct 2019. Available at: https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/haemorrhoids-piles [Accessed Mar 2021].
2. 57 Haemorrhoids. May 2019. Available at: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/pregnancy-care-guidelines/part-i-common-conditions-during-pregnancy/haemorrhoids [Accessed Mar 2021].
3. Haemorrhoids. Nov 2018. Available at: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/ConditionsAndTreatments/haemorrhoids [Accessed Mar 2021].
4. Hemorrhoids: Expanded Information. Available at: https://fascrs.org/patients/diseases-and-conditions/a-z/hemorrhoids-expanded-version [Accessed Mar 2021].
5. Constipation. Aug 2014. Available at: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/constipation [Accessed Mar 2021].
6. Hemorrhoids. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hemorrhoids/symptoms-causes/syc-20360268 [Accessed Mar 2021].