Nicotine Gum & Lozenges
Urge To Smoke - Nicotine Gum Might Be Your Answer
Nicotine gum is a nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) product that relieves you of withdrawal symptoms associated with smoking and makes it easier to quit. Nicotine gum is safe to chew and provides a small amount of nicotine without the user inhaling tar and other harmful chemicals found in cigarettes. The quitting process is a lot less challenging when using smoke free Nicabate gum, and the benefits of quitting smoking are enormous.
Nicotine gum, such as Nicorette gum and Amcal gum have been scientifically verified as a very effective aid to quit smoking. If you are a light smoker or a heavy smoker, nicotine replacement gum can definitely help you on your way to a smoke free lifestyle. Nicotine gum is particularly effective if you suffer from sudden cravings requiring immediate relief.
If you are ready to give up smoking and want to manage cravings smokefree, nicotine gum can be used according to the following schedule.
Step 1: Initial treatment period for 12 weeks. Chew 1 piece of gum whenever you get an urge to smoke. Use 8-12 pieces per day of 2mg gum or 8-10 pieces per day of 4mg gum.
Step 2: Step down treatment period for 2 weeks. Gradually reduce nicotine chewing gum to 4-6 pieces per day.
Step 3: Step off treatment period for 2 weeks. Use only 1-3 pieces of gum per day and reduce nicotine gum use to zero during the 2 weeks.
Although Nicorette Gum and other nicotine gums are much safer than cigarettes, they do contain nicotine and can become addictive if not used correctly. As with cigarettes, nicotine gum has stimulant properties, although gum is much safer, and many nicotine gum users quickly notice lower blood pressure, settled heart rate and improved blood flow. A small number of people experience minor side effects that can include headaches or slight dizziness. If you prefer an alternative to chewing gum, there are other effective nicotine replacement therapies available, such as lozenges, inhalers, and nicotine patches.
All Amcal nicotine replacement therapy products are sugar-free, including icy mint Nicorette Gum, Nicabate Gum, and nicotine lozenges. Nicotine gum is created to minimise withdrawal symptoms and provide immediate health benefits without side effects.
When giving up, a regular smoker or heavy smoker is bound to experience nicotine cravings and other symptoms of nicotine withdrawal. Amazingly, all these symptoms are alleviated by using NRT products such as icy mint nicotine gum or nicotine lozenges.
The above schedule is a helpful guideline. To ensure you remain smoke-free, chew a piece of gum whenever you are strongly tempted to smoke. Here are some questions Amcal customers often ask.
- How often should you chew? The above treatment schedule gives a solid framework, and it is worth remembering that nicotine gum isn't exactly like regular chewing gum. You only need to chew on nicotine gum softly for a minute or less, before tucking the gum under your gums, where it will continue to provide a nicotine fix for two or more hours.
- How to use nicotine gum? Nicotine gum is proven to be one of the most effective ways known to assist with frequent cravings. A heavy smoker should consider 4mg gum as a starting point. You will be aiming to scale down, but for the first few days you may use 8-10 pieces of gum to compensate during nicotine withdrawal and frequent cravings.
- How do I know what dose to use? The good thing about using nicotine gum is flexibility. Firstly, there are two doses to choose from, 2mg gum and 4mg gum. By using the gum strength that suits your needs, you will avoid the side effects and withdrawal symptoms of smoking, and have zero smoke entering your lungs.
- What about heavy smokers? Even a heavy smoker will gain immediate relief from withdrawal symptoms by using nicotine gum, and you can scale back at your pace, chewing gum when required during the day and minimising gum use when you feel ready. Your body will tell you to stop chewing if you get hiccups, a peppery taste or another adverse or unwanted smoke free side effect, just as a heavy smoker may sometimes experience during nicotine overdose.
- How can nicotine gum help? Remember, Nicorette gum, Nicabate gum, Amcal gum and other NRT's contain nicotine, so you can achieve smoking cessation without struggling with nicotine cravings. You will be amazed how well nicotine gum blends in with your lifestyle as an alternative to smoking any number of cigarettes on any given day.
Health care should never be overlooked as a high priority, and nicotine replacement will immediately improve heart rate and blood pressure, while also easing heartburn and other ailments caused by smoking.
If you are wondering, 'how do I choose the right product for me?' your local Amcal chemist can assist. Nicotine gum can be purchased over the counter at authorised chemists, and you will be quickly on your way toward getting rid of nicotine cravings forever. Amcal is one of the most widely recognised chemists in Australia, with a nation-wide network of pharmacies that regional and local communities trust for health care experience and advice.
Every piece of Nicorette, Nicabate, Amcal, Pharmacy Care, Nicotinell and QuitX nicotine gum is created to help people manage withdrawal symptoms. The benefits are noticed from the first pieces of gum you chew, and will also assist dramatically in easing any side effects associated with smoking cessation. Nicotine replacement therapy is a great healthcare breakthrough toward a smoke free life, and can reduce the number of cigarettes you smoke to zero by the time you are chewing your second piece of gum.
Health care professionals advocate nicotine gum as a safe alternative to cigarettes when used according to directions. Any number of cigarettes you smoke can be curtailed without having to suffer difficult nicotine withdrawal. Here are some major benefits of smoking cessation using nicotine gum.
- Heart Health: Smoking is a leading cause of heart disease, but the risks can be reversed once you quit smoking. Quitting smoking can lower your blood pressure and heart rate almost immediately. Gum use will lower cholesterol and diminish unhealthy fatty deposits even if you are a heavy smoker.
- Lung Health: By quitting in a timely manner using NRT products, you will immediately halt the potential for lung damage. Within weeks, you will be more comfortable walking up stairs and performing strenuous activities.
- Head & Face: Smoking cessation will keep your hearing sharp, improve your vision and help you avoid premature aging associated with smoking.
- Stomach & Hormones: Quitting smoking will reduce belly fat and keep blood sugar levels in check, lowering your risk of diabetes. For women, quitting smoking will assist estrogen levels to return to normal and increase the chances of enjoying a healthy pregnancy.
- Blood & Immune System: Nicotine replacement therapy will allow your body to heal from injuries caused by smoking. Your body will enjoy improved blood flow, plus nutrient, mineral and oxygen uptake.
- Muscles & Bones: With more oxygen in your blood, your muscles and bones will become stronger and healthier, reducing the risk of fractures and other injuries.
4mg of nicotine equals approximately 4 cigarettes. Nicotine gum is available in two strengths. 2mg gum is for people who smoke fewer than 20 cigarettes per day, and 4mg gum is for those who smoke 20-25 or more cigarettes per day.
- 1 cigarette = 1mg of nicotine (approximately)
- 1 cigar = 5 cigarettes = 5mg nicotine
- 1 pipefull = 5 cigarettes = 5mg nicotine
Smoking is difficult to give up, and using nicotine gum provides a calm and convenient way to stop, even for a heavy smoker. Breast-feeding mothers who use nicotine gum should breast feed first prior to chewing gum to minimise nicotine in the system during feeding. Adverse side effects are rare, although nicotine gum and other NRT products should be taken as directed. NRT products should not be used along with certain other nicotine products, such as cigarettes or inhalers, and nicotine cravings will be a thing of the past by cutting back on nicotine gum over time for enjoying a smoke free lifestyle.