Cold & Flu Tablets
The best cold and flu medicines
Most people catch at least one or two colds annually. What Australians refer to as 'the common cold' is more than likely one of the 200 or more strains of rhinoviruses. Colds are invasive without discrimination, and there is no quick fix to make colds and influenza go away, but there are over the counter medications that can ease symptoms and lessen the impact of a cold on daily activities.
At Amcal, we understand that Australians appreciate choices and options when it comes to pharmaceutical products, and it is also good to know that old favourites such as Lemsip, Codral Cold & Flu, Bisolvon and Vicks are as ready and reliable as ever. Explore Amcal cold & flu medication ingredients that include paracetamol, phenylephrine, pseudoephedrine, anti-inflammatories, antihistamines and menthol.
There are a lot of active ingredients used in various cold and flu medications. There is no one-size-fits-all medication for all colds and flus, and Amcal allows you to choose a cold medicine based on your personal symptoms. Symptoms of a typical cold include:
- Sinus headache
- Runny nose
- Stuffy nose
- Sore throat
- Aches and fever
Here are several different types of cold and flu tablets and ingredients worth considering, according to your symptoms.
- Best cold and flu tablets for a sinus headache: Congestion can quickly turn into 'stuffed-up' nasal passages and cranial pressure. Treat the headache with Ibuprofen or naproxen to reduce pain, and pseudoephedrine to thin out congestion.
- Best cold and flu tablets for a runny nose: A cold is normally associated with a runny nose, as your body works hard to eject irritants from the nasal passages. A decongestant may make symptoms worse, as such drugs are designed to thin mucus in the body. An antihistamine such as diphenhydramine, designed to reduce irritation, may be a better option.
- Best cold and flu tablets for a stuffy nose: A stuffy nose can linger long after other cold symptoms fade. This is where a decongestant can work wonders. Pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine help clear nasal passages so you can breathe easy again.
- Best cold and flu tablets for fever and aches: When related to a cold or influenza, aches and fevers are usually caused by inflammation in the body. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen offer fast acting pain relief and soothing comfort for aches and pains.
- Best cold and flu tablets for sore throat and coughing: If coughing is getting really irritating and starting to make your throat sore, look for cold and flu tablets that contain dextromethorphan, a drug that controls your need to cough. If cold or flu symptoms persist for more than a few days, speak to a healthcare professional.
- Best night-time cold and flu tablets: Many people find antihistamines help to repress coughing and make you sleepy. Check out night & day tablets that allow you to stop sneezing during the day and breathe easy all night long.
- Best cold and flu tablets for toddlers and infants: You should consult with your child's paediatrician before administering any medicine to a child. Factors that affect medicine dosage include your child's weight, development, age and illness symptoms.
- Best cold and flu tablets for people with high blood pressure: Look for medicines that contain an expectorant. These chemical agents assist with the clearance of mucus in the upper and lower airways, including the lungs.
It is also important not to double up medicines or use several types of cold and flu tablets at any one time. Many tablets contain similar ingredients, potentially leading to overuse, overdose, or negative side effects.
Cold and flu tablets may contain decongestants, antihistamines, pain relievers and cough suppressants. Tablets labelled 'daytime' will have different ingredients to 'night-time' tablets. Decongestants such as pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine help to relieve a blocked nose by reducing swelling caused by blood flow.
Decongestant tablets may exacerbate high blood pressure in some people, so speak to your Amcal pharmacist if you have any concerns. In Australia, cold and flu tablets containing phenylephrine can be purchased over the counter, while products containing pseudoephedrine can only be obtained with a prescription.
Pain relief Cold and flu tablets often contain paracetamol, a powerful pain relief agent. Take the recommended daily dosage of cold and flu tablets for optimal relief from the signs and symptoms of colds and influenza.
Antihistamines work by blocking the effect of histamine in the body. Histamine reacts with pollen, dust mites, airborne particles and some man-made materials, causing hay fever, sinus problems, sneezing, hives and other irritating symptoms. Antihistamines can be drowsy or non-drowsy, so make sure to follow the directions on the label.
Cold and flu tablets, lozenges, sprays, drinks and other products are targeted to fight specific cold and flu symptoms. Few, if any, negative side effects are experienced by people when the products are taken according to manufacturers instructions, and the choices are all yours at Amcal pharmacies.
Cold and flu tablets may not be suitable for some people. Speak to your pharmacist or healthcare professional if you have a pre-existing medical condition, or if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Cold and flu medications are not suitable for children under the age of six. Cold and flu medications are designed for short-term use. If symptoms persist, speak to your doctor.
- Do cold and flu tablets actually work? They certainly do. Amcal stocks only the best name-brand products from world leading manufacturers. Look for Codral, Amcal, Flo, Fess, Vicks, Panadol and other specially formulated products for fast acting relief from the signs and symptoms of colds and flus.
- What is cold and flu medication used for? There are a variety of products available for fighting the 'common cold' virus types. These cold and flu medications will help you combat chesty cough, headache, nasal congestion, runny nose, sinus problems, snoring and sleep problems and the symptoms of hay fever.
- How do I know which cold and flu tablet is best for me? Most Australians are familiar with cold and flu tablets as used by their parents and guardians. Traditions continue with Amcal, and we have been a favourite pharmacy brand Australia-wide for generations. Speak to your pharmacist about old favourite remedies and newer products on the market.
- When should you not take cold and flu medication?
Colds are never a nice experience. They can sneak up on you or hit quite strongly, so there is good reason to use cold and flu tablets and medication. They really do help you manage the symptoms of illness and prepare you for a return to good health.
However, if you have a pre-existing illness, or are taking other medications, you should speak to your doctor before taking cold and flu tablets. Some medication causes drowsiness, and you should avoid drinking while taking these types of medications.
You may have to adjust your own behaviour while recovering from a cold or flu, and here are a few natural remedies to help you along the way.
- Get plenty of rest. Adequate rest is among the most important things you can give to your body for recovering from a cold.
- Hydrate your body with water, juice and herbal teas for thinning out mucus, combatting congestion and helping to fight the virus.
- Inhale steam from a shower or bowl to help loosen congestion. You can add essential oils or Vicks to the water for deep breathing decongestant action.
- Take honey (Manuka) for soothing and healing the throat and helping you decrease coughing.
- Supplements, such as vitamins and minerals, can be taken to ward off colds as well as fighting the symptoms.
Cold and flu tablets are just the beginning, and we stock many more products that might suit your style. Here are different ways you can fight a cold or flu.
- Amcal Inhalant fluid
- Mute-Starter Trial Pack
- Codral PE Cold & Flu Day & Night tablets
- Vicks Action Cold & Flu Tablets
- Sudafed Xylo Nasal Decongestant Spray
- Lemsip MAX Cold & Flu with Decongestant Lemon Sachets
- Euky Bear Steam Vaporiser
- Fess Sinu Cleanse Cleansing Kit
- Demazin Kids 6+ Cold Relief Colour Free Syrup
The above are just a sample of the extensive Amcal cold & flu product range. Whether you require a menthol rub for deep breathing, a Lemsip hot drink for clearing the airways, sore throat lozenges, pain relief, anti-inflammatories, flu medicines or night tablets, Amcal has what you are looking for.
If shopping online, simply add products to your shopping cart, and proceed to checkout for speedy delivery to your door.
The side effects are in most cases the prominent effect of the tablet. For example, some antihistamines cause drowsiness, and this drowsiness can be useful to cold and flu patients in certain circumstances. Targeted cold and flu tablets, antihistamines, and other flu fighting products are all relatively recent medical breakthroughs, and Australians have been safely using Amcal products for generations.
They certainly do, at least according to the patients themselves. Almost all of us rely on cold and flu tablets, lozenges, sprays etc. at times. The appropriate medication can assist people all years of age with sore throat, diarrhoea, flu symptoms, hay fever, body aches, runny nose, sneezing and more.
Many cold and flu tablets and medications act directly on the symptom, such as an inflamed throat or headache. By masking the cold or flu symptoms somewhat, you will be able to focus on recovery and a return to regular activities. Cold and flu medications may contain several different compounds capable of healing, soothing and relieving you from the symptoms of nasty colds and influenza.
For more information regarding flu medicines, active ingredients, medical advice and special considerations, speak to your trusted healthcare professional or local Amcal pharmacist.