Motivation and goal setting.
The Be Good To Yourself program views motivation as one of three crucial elements to success (along with dietary changes and exercise).
The first step for motivation in weight management is to set yourself some goals. We recommend focussing on short-term and long-term goals and it is important for those goals to be realistic and achievable.
Long-term goals are those achievable between 2 and 6 months, whereas short-term goals can be as short as one week up to 2 months.
Goal setting tips:
- Any weight loss goals should include both the scales AND the tape measure. As you lose weight the ratio of fat to muscle may change. This may mean the scales stay the same but by using a tape measure you can see the weight is still coming off.
- Make sure you write down your goals.
- Avoid setting goals around conditions or situations that you cannot control.
- Make sure any weight loss goals are achievable using the 0.5-1kg per week with some buffer weeks included. Setting realistic goals avoids disappointment.
- While it is good to begin a program or project with the end point in mind, if you have a large amount of weight to lose, it is not recommended to set goals beyond a 6 month period of time. This is because such goals can appear too distant or too overwhelming, which can decrease your motivation or cause you to give up during the more difficult times of the journey. Instead set a goal for 12 weeks with a weight loss of 0.5-1kg per week. Then plan to evaluate your progress and reset new goals based on your outcomes.
- Get enough sleep, if you’re tired, you’ll be less likely to stick to the program.
- Just get started, don’t wait for the right time to start your Be Good To Yourself journey because it might not happen. Instead, get started today!
- Surround yourself with people who motivate you.
- Tell those closest to you what your goals are to make you more accountable.
- If you need to make a lot of adjustments to follow the Be Good To Yourself program, then break it down into smaller goals and increase them until you are aligned to the program.
- Visit a trained Wellness Coach for more motivation and support.