Baby formula, also known as infant formula, or simply formula, is manufactured and marketed for babies and infants under 12 months of age. Baby formula is conveniently prepared for bottle or cup feeding by mixing the powder with water or other liquid. Baby or infant formula is defined by Australian, New Zealand and United States healthcare professionals and the Department of Health as a food for infants that simulates breastmilk and is a suitable complete or partial breast milk substitute.
Baby formulas come in powder, liquid, and ready-to-feed varieties. Formulas contain the nutrition and protein found in breastmilk, along with additives that encourage a strong digestive system, healthy growth and brain development. Common types of baby formulas include:
- Cows milk formula: This is the most popular baby formula. Although cows milk in its original form is harmful for babies and infants, the milk in baby formula has been altered and treated to safely deliver the nutritional needs and protein levels found in breast milk.
- Goats milk formula: This breast milk substitute is specifically formulated to be gentle on the tummy, and contains the key ingredients to support healthy growth.
- Soy protein: This is an ideal alternative for infants who are allergic to lactose or cows milk. These types of formula are favoured by parents who are averse to animal proteins in their child's diet.
- Protein hydrolysate formulas: These formulas contain protein that has been broken down to make digestion easier. Protein hydrolysate formulas are good for babies who can't tolerate cow's milk formula, whey protein or soy-based formulas.
- Specialized formulas: These type of baby formulas are made for infants with specific medical conditions and premature infants.
Although breastfeeding is acknowledged as the ideal source of nutrition for babies and infants, there are times when breastfeeding is medically contraindicated. There are many reasons for starting a baby on formula, including:
- Mother's health: If the mother is extremely ill or is infected with a disease, baby formula will deliver essential vitamins and establish optimum protein levels.
- Baby is unable to breastfeed: Breastfeeding can be difficult or impossible if the child has a metabolism problem or other ailment.
- Baby is at risk of malnutrition: In some instances, a baby may suffer from malnutrition, such as an iron deficiency. An infant may also struggle during the transition to solid foods. Baby formula can be the answer.
- Food allergies: The infant may suffer from allergies caused by the mother's food intake. Switching to baby formula may be the answer for allergic reactions.
In some instances, breastfeeding is discouraged due to social, family and belief structures and systems. In such cases, Amcal cow's milk formula, soy formula or other baby formula can be the solution. Our baby and infant formulas meet strict standards for healthcare to meet all infant nutrition needs.
If you are starting a baby on formula it is worth taking the time to explore the extensive Amcal range of products online or in-store. Speak to your doctor or paediatrician first if you require medical supervision. Our healthcare professionals can advise you on all types of formula for formula fed babies up to twelve months of age, including follow-on formula for use during the transition to solid foods.
This will depend on the baby and the mother. Strict standards that meet Department of Health guidelines for healthy growth are encouraged by all Amcal brands. We partner with well-known baby formula brands such as Novalac, NAN, Nestle, Karicare and Aptamil to ensure highest quality infant formula protein levels, essential vitamins, carbohydrates and nutritional needs for the building blocks of toddler growth. Ingredients found in baby formula include:
- Essential vitamins
- Essential minerals
- Folic acid
Carbohydrates account for a lot of daily energy intake for growing infants, and lactose is the main source of carbohydrates in cow's milk-based formulas. Lactose-free formulas, non-milk protein formulas, and hydrolysed protein formulas are more suitable for infants with a milk protein sensitivity.
There are a wide variety of baby formulas on the market that meet stringent regulations. At Amcal, we believe in giving options, such as soy formulas and other infant formulas that don't contain lactose. In such formulas, sucrose, glucose, destrins and natural modified starches may be used as alternatives.
Additives can include added sugars, long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids, whey protein, casein, probiotics, prebiotics and hydrolysed formulas that break down mild proteins into smaller, less allergy-producing pieces. You can also choose follow-on formulas that contain more proteins, vitamins and minerals for growing infants.
With Amcal, you can choose by brand, price, size and other preferences that meet your healthcare nutritional needs. Speak to your health professional or Amcal pharmacist regarding your baby formula preferences, and shop with confidence knowing that our products meet strict standards. Amcal ingredients establish the building blocks of a healthy digestive system and brain development.
The purpose of baby formula is to provide important vitamins, proteins, carbohydrates found in breastmilk. Breastmilk is incredibly enriched and fortified for babies, containing everything required for healthy growth. However, baby formula is favoured for a number of reasons, including its ability to deliver a breast milk substitute that aids the immune system and provides nutritional needs.
Cow's milk protein has formed the basis of traditional infant formulas for bottle feeding, although Australian consumers now also lean toward soy formula and hydrolysed formula alternatives. Breast milk substitute options have grown, and Amcal delivers a wide variety of products that closely resemble breast milk for optimal infant nutrition.
The major difference between stage 1 and stage 2 formula is that stage 2 contains more iron. At around 6 months, the iron naturally occurring in mother's milk has depleted, and if you are using baby or infant formula, it could be time to start your child on step 2. Additional considerations include the child's uptake of solid foods that deliver essential vitamins, minerals, proteins and carbohydrates.
There are plenty of choices for baby formula available all-around Australia at Amcal pharmacies. You can choose from cow's milk formula, soy formula, plus organic or non-organic formulas. Choosing the best formula for your baby can be discussed with your paediatrician, and there may be a time when you choose to introduce a new formula or switch to step 2 formula for your baby.
The first step is to decide whether you want to switch formula immediately or gradually. Here are some tips.
- Begin by offering your infant the new formula in his or her regular bottle. If your baby enjoys the taste and you don't notice any signs of discomfort or illness, you can safely continue with the new formula.
- If planning to make a gradual change, mix one-part new formula to three-parts of the old formula. Continue with the same ratio for a few feedings to gauge your child's reaction.
- Increase the ratio if your baby is doing well. Look for signs of mild gassiness or any pain that might mean the new formula isn't suitable.
- When switching certain types of formula, such as cow's milk formula to soy formula, it will be easiest to switch immediately due to the difference in flavour.
- Speak to your paediatrician, doctor or Amcal pharmacist if your child suffers from allergens contained in dairy, soy, or other products and ingredients.
Toddler formulas are manufactured according to strict standards and Department of Health guidelines. Health and safety is a big deal in Australia, and the healthy growth of our children is the highest priority. Amcal is proud to partner with world-leading brands with a commitment to best possible formula feeding outcomes.
Amcal toddler formulas contain essential vitamins, prebiotics, probiotics, carbohydrates, protein and other essential ingredients that form the building blocks of healthy growth. With Amcal baby formula and infant formula, your child's nutritional needs are covered, just as they would be for a healthy breastfeeding child.
We stock all types of formulas for every type of mother and child, supporting toddler growth with the right protein levels and essential vitamins for optimal digestive system health. Check out our great range of baby formula products online, or speak to our friendly Amcal staff for more assistance and product guidance.
Long shelf-life and convenient storage are additional advantages of baby formula.
- Store unopened baby formula containers in a cool, dry place indoors. Do not store baby formula outdoors, or in garages or vehicles.
- Once opened, store baby formula in a cool, dry place indoors with the lid tightly closed. Don't store baby formula in the refrigerator.
- Check the use-by date on the baby formula label. Most baby formula needs to be used within one month of the container being opened.
Amcal is Australia's favourite chemist for lots of reasons. We have been serving the people of Australia for generations and are the trusted pharmacy for exceptional service great value, and an extensive range of baby formula products.